Below is an article about a remarkable effort to preserve our valuable local parkland, followed by a Letter to the Editor from a Save Knowland Park volunteer.
The hearing officer made his decision: Our appeal against the Zoo’s permit to cut down protected oak trees was denied.
We presented our case at a full-house City hearing on August 18. It was based on our written appeal to protest the Oakland Tree Services decision to grant Zoo management (East Bay Zoological Society) a tree “removal” permit. The permit allows the Zoo to cut down 48 protected Coast live oaks and put 428 more […]
Despite our letter of objections that we submitted 6-23-2015 during public comment period, plus over 600 emails from the community asking for permit denial, the Oakland Tree Services division has approved the Zoo’s application to cut down 55 protected Coast live oaks and risk damage to an additional 424 protected trees “within 10 feet of construction” to […]
Wow. THANK YOU to everyone who sent in a letter to the Tree Services Division to protest the Oakland Zoo’s permit application to cut down over 50 protected oak trees in the heart of Knowland Park. Over 600 letters (and additional phone calls) were sent to the Tree Reviewer by the June 23 deadline, with […]
Save Oakland’s Oaks
Search Our SIte
Who we are
- People from all over the Bay Area who have come together around a shared concern for the health of our environment and our urban community.
- We enjoy the outdoors and love wild places.
- We care about protecting local wildlife and rare native plant habitats.
- We support public access to our remaining natural open space.
- We love Oakland, and are concerned about the misuse of public resources and taxpayer dollars by private business interests.
What we want to do
- Save the wildest park in Oakland from development—keep it free for everyone to enjoy.
- Stop the Oakland Zoo’s expansion into the heart of Knowland Park, and require that any expansion be located on already disturbed land adjacent to the zoo’s existing site.
- Protect dwindling native wildlife habitat, and preserve our remaining open space for future generations.
- Support the City of Oakland in requiring strict fiscal accountability and true environmental stewardship of Knowland Park’s amazing natural resources.