I’m not sure how I first learned about Knowland Park, and I can’t remember why I decided to go there. Very likely it was a sunny afternoon and I was determined to get my whirlwind of a two- year-old out of my living room and “into nature” – somewhere spacious where he could run and […]
Petition Delivered: Thanks to all of you who helped us get more than 2100 signatures on our petition urging the US Fish & Wildlife Service to deny regulatory permits for the expansion project. The petitions were delivered to their offices in Sacramento (with copies to the state Fish and Wildlife agency as well) last week (photos of our […]
ACTION ALERT! As you know, the zoo can’t start the bulldozers until they obtain special “incidental take” permits from state and federal wildlife regulatory agencies to allow them to “accidentally” kill threatened Alameda Whipsnakes during construction. Through our public records act requests, we have learned that the zoo continues to deny the existence of the […]
SIGN OUR 2 PETITIONS
Search Our SIte
Who we are
- People from all over the Bay Area who have come together around a shared concern for the health of our environment and our urban community.
- We enjoy the outdoors and love wild places.
- We care about protecting local wildlife and rare native plant habitats.
- We support public access to our remaining natural open space.
- We love Oakland, and are concerned about the misuse of public resources and taxpayer dollars by private business interests.
What we want to do
- Save the wildest park in Oakland from development—keep it free for everyone to enjoy.
- Stop the Oakland Zoo’s expansion into the heart of Knowland Park, and require that any expansion be located on already disturbed land adjacent to the zoo’s existing site.
- Protect dwindling native wildlife habitat, and preserve our remaining open space for future generations.
- Support the City of Oakland in requiring strict fiscal accountability and true environmental stewardship of Knowland Park’s amazing natural resources.