ACTION ALERT! As you know, the zoo can’t start the bulldozers until they obtain special “incidental take” permits from state and federal wildlife regulatory agencies to allow them to “accidentally” kill threatened Alameda Whipsnakes during construction. Through our public records act requests, we have learned that the zoo continues to deny the existence of the […]
City finally commits to enforcing zoo’s management contract after years of questions, admits it never has done so
As you know, for years we have been asking the city for copies of the documents the zoo is required to submit annually under its management contract with the city – namely, a “capital improvement budget, spending plan, actual expenses and schedule describing its projected development for the current budget year and for the next […]
Search Our SIte
Who we are
- People from all over the Bay Area who have come together around a shared concern for the health of our environment and our urban community.
- We enjoy the outdoors and love wild places.
- We care about protecting local wildlife and rare native plant habitats.
- We support public access to our remaining natural open space.
- We love Oakland, and are concerned about the misuse of public resources and taxpayer dollars by private business interests.
What we want to do
- Save the wildest park in Oakland from development—keep it free for everyone to enjoy.
- Stop the Oakland Zoo’s expansion into the heart of Knowland Park, and require that any expansion be located on already disturbed land adjacent to the zoo’s existing site.
- Protect dwindling native wildlife habitat, and preserve our remaining open space for future generations.
- Support the City of Oakland in requiring strict fiscal accountability and true environmental stewardship of Knowland Park’s amazing natural resources.