Please come to Oakland City Council meeting Tues 11/18 starting 5:30 pm Oakland City Hall at 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza Council Chambers, 3rd Floor Please RSVP here if you can attend: bit.ly/knowlandmeeting. Beautiful & wild Knowland Park is home to native wildlife, including rare and threatened species, and it was deeded to the city of Oakland to remain […]
Our turnout for the Oakland Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission (PRAC) hearing Wednesday night (Oct 22) on whether to recommend that the City Council approve letting the Zoo take even more of Knowland Park was GREAT—well over 50 Park defenders showed up…and wow, were they powerful, articulate, and persuasive! The sea of blue Save Knowland […]
75% of Oakland Voters Say Zoo Should Re-Think Expansion Plans, Protect City’s Largest Park You may have just heard about the new public poll we commissioned and its stunning results: A supermajority (75%) of likely Oakland voters say the Oakland Zoo should either not be allowed to expand into undeveloped parkland or that any expansion […]
As you know, the zoo’s plan to use the most environmentally sensitive areas of the park that are located on the ridgeline is now running into trouble. Because the destruction of wildlife habitat is so severe and permanent, the wildlife regulators are requiring the zoo to make up for it by setting aside more than […]
The East Bay Express has published an in-depth article about the zoo’s expansion plans in Knowland Park called “Zoo Gone Wild.”
Save Oakland’s Oaks
Search Our SIte
Who we are
- People from all over the Bay Area who have come together around a shared concern for the health of our environment and our urban community.
- We enjoy the outdoors and love wild places.
- We care about protecting local wildlife and rare native plant habitats.
- We support public access to our remaining natural open space.
- We love Oakland, and are concerned about the misuse of public resources and taxpayer dollars by private business interests.
What we want to do
- Save the wildest park in Oakland from development—keep it free for everyone to enjoy.
- Stop the Oakland Zoo’s expansion into the heart of Knowland Park, and require that any expansion be located on already disturbed land adjacent to the zoo’s existing site.
- Protect dwindling native wildlife habitat, and preserve our remaining open space for future generations.
- Support the City of Oakland in requiring strict fiscal accountability and true environmental stewardship of Knowland Park’s amazing natural resources.