75% of Oakland Voters Say Zoo Should Re-Think Expansion Plans, Protect City’s Largest Park You may have just heard about the new public poll we commissioned and its stunning results: A supermajority (75%) of likely Oakland voters say the Oakland Zoo should either not be allowed to expand into undeveloped parkland or that any expansion […]
As you know, the zoo’s plan to use the most environmentally sensitive areas of the park that are located on the ridgeline is now running into trouble. Because the destruction of wildlife habitat is so severe and permanent, the wildlife regulators are requiring the zoo to make up for it by setting aside more than […]
The East Bay Express has published an in-depth article about the zoo’s expansion plans in Knowland Park called “Zoo Gone Wild.”
Oakland Zoo’s proposed expansion into Knowland Park goes from bad to worse July 28, 2014 The Sierra Club has grown increasingly concerned about the California Trails exhibit that the Oakland Zoo proposes to build on the ridge line of Knowland Park. The City of Oakland approved the fifty-six-acre project in 2011 on a fifteen-year-old Mitigated Negative Declaration. […]
News Updates: Oakland Magazine covers Knowland Park Fight Did you see the recent article in Oakland Magazine about Knowland Park and the fight to save it? If you missed it, read it here: http://www.oaklandmagazine.com/Oakland-Magazine/July-2014/Conservationists-and-Zoo-Spar-Over-Knowland-Park/
Search Our SIte
Who we are
- People from all over the Bay Area who have come together around a shared concern for the health of our environment and our urban community.
- We enjoy the outdoors and love wild places.
- We care about protecting local wildlife and rare native plant habitats.
- We support public access to our remaining natural open space.
- We love Oakland, and are concerned about the misuse of public resources and taxpayer dollars by private business interests.
What we want to do
- Save the wildest park in Oakland from development—keep it free for everyone to enjoy.
- Stop the Oakland Zoo’s expansion into the heart of Knowland Park, and require that any expansion be located on already disturbed land adjacent to the zoo’s existing site.
- Protect dwindling native wildlife habitat, and preserve our remaining open space for future generations.
- Support the City of Oakland in requiring strict fiscal accountability and true environmental stewardship of Knowland Park’s amazing natural resources.